Medium tank T-34 m.1942-1943

2 SS Panzer Division "Das Reich"

Page 7

Click on the picture for enlarge

(T.L.Jentz, W.Regenberg Panzer Tracts 19-2 "Beute-Panzerkampfwagen. British, American,Russian and Italian Tanks captured from 1940 to 1945") "On 14 May 1943 SS T 34-Instandsetzungsbetrieb Tuebke in a Lok.-Fabrik (locomotive plant = KhPZ) that this was an examplary workshop that had already completed 24 T 34. The disadvantage was that none had radio sets. On 1 May 1943, SS-Pz.Gren.Div. "Das Reich" reported that they had received 25 Pz.Kpfw. T 34(r) in very damaged condition, of which up to now only three could be repaired."

According with last research SS repair plant was placed on the KhPZ area, early hoth punch workshop. Collected on the battle fields T-34 tanks was concentrated along forge-punch workshop (No 1200) (Vasily Diounov information)

Some source before give another inform ation:

(Rupp C. Im Feuer gestahlt, s.74-75.) "After enemy offensive was stopped between the Donets and the Dnepr river, and the repeated seizure of Kharkov, in the region of combat hundreds of destroyed and seized Russian tanks remained, and to the happiness 6 kilometers east of Kharkov in Losevo be placed the almost completely destroyed Tractor Plant (KhTZ). It " almost " meant that on the enormous area of plant it was possible to find the large covered shop, which truth also strongly suffered, but it had a roof, which completely could be repaired. Repair subdivision I -Staffel Panzerjager-Abteilung left to the works on the clearing of territory and the collection of an even more suitable equipment, tools from other covered shops, for these works supplementary workers were drawn by Russians. In 17 days were assembled the almost 750 tons of materials, to that were spent about 20 000 man-hours of work. The search for the Russian specialists of tank plant simultaneously was conducted. Search was completed by success, and about 15-20 specialists of tank production were found and could be drawn to the works of, including even woman - crane operator of heavy workshop crane. During this preparatory phase by the regions of combat drove the operations search groups, which searched for the tanks T -34 in a good technical state, and which could be transfered with the evacuation group of tank regiment to the Tractor Plant. The work on repair began from the middle of April. Under the motto “of three let us make one” all tanks they were completely dismantled, all components passed thorough checking, and best were used again. Armored hulls, which were produced here previously as billets were made more comfortable, also, in the majority are light painted. The aggregates especially were checked with the German radio-equipment, test benches for the engines (2 or 3) worked both in the daytime and at night. Since Russians equipped only command tanks with radio stations, then all restored tanks were equipped with German radio. Some commander after all were equipped also with commander turrets from the German tanks PzKpfw IV with German optics. These were is probably best T -34, which sometimes existed."

 

(From Regenberger, Dr. Werner: Scheiben. Horst: Captured tanks under german flag. Russian battle tanks.Shiffer Military.)

(Picture from "The SS in Battle" McLachlen Associates, 1969)

(From Regenberger, Dr. Werner: Scheiben. Horst: Captured tanks under german flag. Russian battle tanks.Shiffer Military.)

(From "Panzerkampf im Bild. Panzerkomandanten berichten" W.Fey)

(Picture from "The SS in Battle" McLachlen Associates, 1969)

(Picture from "The SS in Battle" McLachlen Associates, 1969)