Gruppo Corazzato « SAN GIUSTO »
The 1°Gruppo Carri L San Giusto, created in 1934, was one of the first armoured cavalry units of the italian army. As part of the 1 Divisione Celere (first fast division) “Eugenio di Savoia” it participed in the entire Yugoslav campaign until the Italian armistice of September 1943.
After the armistice one of its squadrons, commanded by Captain Agostino Tonegutti, after moving to Friuli region in North Eastern Italy was re-equipped and integrated into RSI. Under the name of the gruppo Squadroni Corazzati San Giusto, the unit fought in the region of Adriatic Coastal Area (OZAK).
(Source: Stefano Di Giusto “Il Gruppo Corazzato “San Giusto” dal Regio Esercito alla RSI 1934-1945).
dotation of the gruppo
- around 16 L3
- 5 M13/40 and M14/41
- 4 Semoventi 1x M41 75/18 2x M42 75/18 1x M42 75/34
- 2 Semoventi L40 47/32
- 4 AB41
- 3 Fiat 665 NM armoured trucks
- 2 S37 armoured trucks
1944, 31 may, Slovenia. M14/41 from "San Giusto" abandonned after hitting a mine on the road between Dobraule and Cesta. The tank was ambushed some 2 Km east of the Fiat 665 NM from gruppo "San Giusto". Not really visible, Gruppo San Giusto symbol is on the front of the tank, Italian flag with tank on centre. Pictures from Stefano di Giusto "Panzer units in the operationszone Adriatisches Kustenland (OZAK) 1943-1945 and the panzer-sicherungs-kompanien in Italy" and web